The murder victim in question here may remain unknown, but the photographer who immortalized his demise certainly isn’t. Throughout the 1930s and ’40s, Arthur Fellig a.k.a. Weegee stayed tapped into police frequencies on his radio and always managed to be first at seemingly every major crime scene — where he would capture images of unparalleled power. His stark images of old New York murders remain iconic to this day.Weegee once later recounted that he “had so many unsold murder pictures lying around my room…I felt as if I were renting out a wing of the city morgue.”One such murder is the slaying of this unidentified man in what was likely a mob hit carried out near the ‘O Sole Mio restaurant on Mulberry Street in Little Italy circa 1939.Currently, at the old locale of ‘O Sole Mio, tourists can buy “I Heart NY” gifts and T-shirts. But what they might not know, as they purchase discount souvenirs for their loved ones, is that in the late 1930s, a grisly murder took place right there, and a bloody corpse was left laying on the curbside.

The John Masseria Murder

The body of John Masseria lies on 19th St. near the Hudson River on June 22, 1937.

The site of Masseria’s murder today.

The area surrounding this stretch of 19th St. in Manhattan may be well-developed and pleasant-looking today, but it was once home to a particularly brazen mob murder.

On June 22, 1937, it was here that unidentified mob killers took down John Masseria right in the street. John was a gambler and he had been shot through the heart when he refused to pay a debt he owed after losing a bet.

John was the brother of Joseph “Joe the Boss” Masseria, himself had been killed by Charles “Lucky” Luciano’s gunmen as part of the latter’s power grab six years earlier. Eventually, John followed in his brother’s bloody footsteps (although the details remain clear and some sources identify the location of the hit as 10th St.).

Umberto’s Clam House

Police officers and several other men stand outside Umberto’s Clam House shortly after the killing of mobster “Crazy” Joe Gallo inside the restaurant on April 7, 1972.

Umberto’s Clam House today.

Just two months after Umberto’s Clam House opened at 129 Mulberry St. in Little Italy, mobster “Crazy” Joe Gallo was shot and killed while seated at a table in the back corner.

Gallo was a mobster in the Profaci crime family in New York City who got into a life of crime early. After he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, he earned his unsettling nickname.

He rose quickly through the ranks and after a particularly brutal takedown of a rival family head, Gallo expected a hefty reward. He was not given the reward and so he began to plot his revenge against Joe Profaci, the head of the family.

Profaci caught wind of Gallo’s plot so he decided to take care of his disgruntled subordinate and authorized a hit on him.

It was April 7, 1972 and Gallo had come to the restaurant to celebrate his birthday with his wife, sister, and daughter. He didn’t notice that an associate of a rival mob family was seated at the bar and, upon seeing Gallo, walked to a nearby hangout to recruit gunmen to kill Gallo then and there.

“The idea of him being shot in front of his family and in Little Italy was extraordinary shocking,” said Otway. “The nature of his execution was a message.”

Gallo and his family were sitting down at their table in blissful ignorance when four gunmen entered the room, guns in hand. The men opened fire just as Gallo stood up and pulled out his own gun to fire back.

Thinking fast, Gallo knocked a table on its side and used it as a shield while he inched closer to the door, likely hoping to draw fire away from his family.

The hitmen discharged 20 rounds total and a bloody and bullet-riddled Gallo managed to stagger to the sidewalk before collapsing outside of the restaurant. The gunmen fled the scene leaving a mortally wounded Gallo lying on the ground for police to see.

At her brother’s funeral three days later, Gallo’s sister issued an ominous warning, saying, “The streets are going to run red with blood, Joey.”

Not long after the shooting, the blood-stained sidewalk was cleaned and Umberto’s was soon open again for business — as if the whole thing never happened.

Joe & Mary’s Italian-American Restaurant

Morgue attendants carry the body of Carmine Galante out of Joe & Mary’s Restaurant on July 12, 1979.

The former site of Joe & Mary’s today.

On July 12, 1979, Bonanno family boss Carmine Galante was eating on the private back patio at Joe & Mary’s Italian-American Restaurant at 205 Knickerbocker Ave. in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

At the time of his final meal, Galante, who had been the head of the Bonanno family for five years, was embroiled in a tense series of power plays between the five families of the New York City mafia.

The Brooklyn restaurant was a dining hotspot for mob members, but Galante wasn’t worried about a potential attack from a rival family. He was even quoted saying, “No one would ever kill me, they wouldn’t dare.”

A distant relative of Galante’s own Joe & Mary’s and he, and his two bodyguards, gathered at the restaurant to say goodbye to a relative who was going on vacation. The men had just finished eating their meal so Galante lit a cigar.

Suddenly, at roughly 2:45 PM, three men in ski masks rushed inside the restaurant and riddled Galante with bullets and shotgun blasts before fleeing the scene. Galante and two other men were killed in the barrage of bullets. His two bodyguards did nothing to protect him in the attack and afterward, they just left the restaurant.

The hit had been carried out so quickly and efficiently that Galante’s cigar was still clenched between his teeth when the police arrived on the murder scene. When reporters arrived, their cameras caught Galante’s body being removed from the restaurant under a sign that read, “We Give Special Attention to Outgoing Orders.”